All pupils entering Year 10 will follow the National Curriculum programmes of study to achieve the Attainment Targets incorporated in the WJEC syllabus for GCSE/Key Stage 4 English Language.
They will “develop their ability to use English as active and informed citizens and be able to speak, listen, read and write fluently, appropriately, effectively and critically – for a wide range of personal, functional and social purposes”.
The aim of the course is to enable pupils to:-
- demonstrate oracy, reading and writing skills confidently, effectively, precisely and appropriately
- demonstrate proficiency in accessing and retrieving information from a wide range of written and dynamic/ digital texts, showing a broad understanding of the text, summarising and synthesising content, inferring intended meaning and evaluating its purpose
- understand the patterns, structures and conventions of oral and written language
- understand the impact of variations in language, selecting and adapting speech and writing to different situations, purposes and audiences
- develop skills to meet own personal needs as well as the needs of employers and further education so that pupils can fully participate in society and the world of work
- develop verbal reasoning and ability to think constructively and critically in response to digital/ dynamic texts
- develop proof-reading and editing skills
- acquire the necessary skills needed for further study, including the study of English at Level 3 of the National Qualifications Framework