Ysgol Bro Dinefwr: 8 Year 9: 17

Second half tries help Gowerton into the last 16.

 Ysgol Bro Dinefwr year 9: 8 Gowerton year 9: 17
Having qualified from their group before Christmas, Gowerton year 9 travelled to Llandovery to play Ysgol Bro Dinefwr in their last 32 Welsh cup game.
Gowerton produced a mature and very gutsy performance in a game that ebbed and flowed throughout and in the end it was the visitors that emerged with victory.
Bro Dinefwr started the stronger side with their back row of Iestyn Rees, Rhys Evans and Dyfrig Poulton all competing strongly, but it was Gowerton wing Elliot Rees who broke the deadlock when he converted a penalty kick after Gowerton’s first real attack.
The hosts continued to hold the upper hand with centres Ben Morgan and Rhodri Davies both threatening and replied shortly afterwards with a penalty of their own and had the opportunity to take the lead minutes later with another kick at goal, but it drifted just wide.
Gowerton gradually took control with forwards Ethan Guy, Joe Brightkey, Ollie Quick, Jack Soproniuk and Jacob Ireland all carrying strongly but they weren’t able to turn their pressure into points. The hosts replied with a spell of pressure of their own and initially were only denied a score by last ditch tackles by fly half Sam Cambriani and full back Rhys Edwards. Inevitably the pressure told and they crossed in the corner to lead 8-3 at the break.
The visitors started the second half on the front foot with the accurate throwing of hooker Aled Simons allowing flanker Soproniuk and lock Will Jones to secure clean ball and create a good platform for the backs to work from and with scrum half  Patrick Langdon-Dark and centre Adam Fielding continuously asking questions of the hosts’ defence with their intelligent running lines a score looked inevitable. As the hosts’ defence tired the visitors were rewarded when fly half Cambriani sliced through to score beneath the posts. Wing Rees converted and Gowerton were back in front. With momentum on their side and with Cambriani and centre Dexter Ryde kicking intelligently they began to dominate field position and with man of the match, prop Ethan Guy continuing to carry strongly, Gowerton increased their lead when they executed a slick set piece move that allowed wing Rees to score in the corner. Rees added the touchline conversion that crucially put the visitors two scores clear. The hosts surged forward in the final stages but Gowerton’s defence with wing Max Treharne and lock Nathan Davies both prominent was unflinching and at full time it was they who progressed to the next round where they are drawn to travel to play Ysgol Y Preseli.

Comments are closed.

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb