Year 9: 36 v Birchgrove: 32

Fleming nips in, to take year 9 through.

Gowerton: 36 Birchgrove: 32
Gowerton’s Jacob Clark gathers a loose ball.
Last gasp snipe books Gowerton a semi-final date with Penyrheol.
Gowerton entertained Birchgrove year 9 in the quarter final of the Swansea schools’ cup. The game was scheduled to be played at the Elba but with the pitch there unfit, Gowerton were indebted to Gowerton RFC who allowed the game to be played at their ground. The surface was a testimony to the hard work of the ground staff and at kick off, underfoot conditions were perfect and contributed to an entertaining game that saw the teams share twelve tries.
Lock Harri Morgan who dominated the lineout.
The visitors were the first into their stride and centre Kyle Astil crossed when he broke through several tackles to score from 60 metres. Two minutes later the hosts were in front when wing Jack Porter rounded of a fine handling move to score a try that fly half Jesse Howes converted. Then on 10 minutes, Gowerton increased their lead when scrum half Milo Fleming reacted quickly to pick up from the base of a scrum and score.
The game continued to go from end to end and Birchgrove were back in front by half time when powerful running from centre Lee Harris saw him cross for unconverted tries in the 23rdand 24th minutes.
Man of the match Dafydd Williams (centre) can’t believe it. One of the Birchgrove lads decided he was going to have a lie down!!
The visitors seemed to be taking control when Aaron Browne added a fourth try for them in the first minute of the second half. The hosts came roaring back with lock Harri Morgan dominating the lineout, centre Rhys Evans a powerful ball carrier and man of the match, hooker Dafydd Williams impressing with his accurate lineout throwing and skilful hooking, and in the 32ndminute a try from Williams cut the deficit and then in the 37thminute he produced an excellent tackle in midfield that won his team possession from which scrum half Fleming was able to cross between the posts for a try converted by Howes.
Birchgrove chip ahead.
Scrum half Milo Fleming who grabbed a try hat-trick.
Birchgrove’s powerful runners continued to pose a threat and they crossed for two tries in a minute. Astil crossed for his second and added the conversion and then straight from the kick off back row forward Rhys Davies powered over which meant that with seven minutes remaining Gowerton trailed by two scores, they reduced the arrears to a point when elusive running by centre Jordan Richards allowed him to score a try that Howes converted and then with time up on the clock, another good take in the lineout by Morgan was driven on by his forwards and when the ball was recycled, scrum half Fleming evaded the defenders to complete his hat-trick and send his team through to a semi-final at home to Penyrheol.  

Comments are closed.

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb