Year 9 v Ysgol John Bright

Year 9 march on in Welsh Cup.

Ysgol John Bright: 12 Tregwyr: 50.
Ysgol John Bright: 12 Gowerton: 50.
Gowerton wing steffan Tyrrell completes his first half try hat trick.
Tregwyr yn yr wyth ola’ wedi tri chais Tyrrell yn eu rhoi wrth y llyw.
Gowerton advance to the last eight as Tyrrell hat-trick puts them in charge.
Following their Welsh Cup victory over Treorchy, Gowerton travelled to north Wales to play Eryri cup holders Ysgol John Bright from Llandudno in the last 16 of the competition.
Gowerton elected to play against the breeze in the first half, but were quickly into their stride with the forwards well led by captain Will Jones providing half backs Milo Fleming and Philip Jones with a constant stream of quality possession.
The visitors were into the lead as early as the third minute when centre Tom Howell made an outside break that allowed him to free full back Keelan Giles and he crossed for a try that Howell converted.
Man of the match: Keelan Giles.   
Try scorer: James Rudderham.
Gowerton were in the ascendency when two further tries were added in the next 10 minutes, and it was man of the match Giles who was the instigator for both. In the 8thminute, he chased and gathered fly half Jones’ clever chip and when halted just short of the line he popped the ball up for wing Olly Smith to score. Then in the 13th minute, great game awareness on Giles’ part saw him take a quick lineout close to his own try line and with the hosts caught unaware he was able to put centre Howell clear on half way and he sprinted 60 metres to score a try that he converted himself.
A try hat-trick in 8 minutes by wing Steffan Tyrrell meant that the visitors were well and truly in command at the break. In the 20th minute, a turnover by captain Jones, allowed the ball to be moved to Tyrrell and he strode over from 20 metres. Six minutes later good approach work from No.8 Jack Cambriani and an excellent pass from scrum half Fleming put Tyrrell clear on half way and he sprinted to score his second and then in the 28th minute, Tyrrell was the first to react when the hosts fumbled outside their ’22 and again he had too much pace for his opposite number and with fly half Jones converting two of Tyrrell’s tries, Gowerton led 38-0 at the break.
Gowerton’s tackling was unflinching
Morgan Morris grabs an opponent.
Tom Northey and Rhys Evans ‘gang tackle’ an opponent.
The visitors’ were far from finished though and scored their best team try in the 33rd minute when great work by lock Steffan Gibbon and No.8 Ethan Harris gave full back James Rudderham the opportunity to score and centre Howell added the extras.
This score only served to stimulate the hosts and powerful centre Sam Hughes scored tries in the 39th and 46thminute, one of which was converted by fly half Isaac Williams. However, it was the visitors who had the final word when good work by prop Morgan Morris and scrum half Callum Lewis allowed fly half Dominic Greeno to free wing Jordan Marshall and he strode over for his sides’ eighth try and at the final whistle Gowerton were through to the last eight and eagerly awaiting news of the quarter final draw.
Gowerton wing Jack Porter looks to hand off his opposite number.
Photographs: Dominic Greeno year 9.

Comments are closed.

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb