Yr 7 cup final v Olchfa

Year 7 stumble at the final hurdle.

Gowerton year 7 squad:
Back row (left to right): Mr Jonathan Evans (referee), Ben Grunhut, Mrs Davies (First Aid), Ellis Searle, Jack Cosker, Morgan Grey, Bradley Davies-Steele, Harri Ford, Garin Thomas, Tom King, Danny Owen, Gareth Aylott, Dylan Treharne (assistant coach), Dafydd Peters, Tommy Rieley, and Mr Watts (coach).
Front row (left to right): Will Griffiths, Tom McCann, Tom Clarke, Tom Barrington, Jacob Williams, Cameron Clayfield (capt), Lewis Pennington, James Northey, Danny Thomas, Iwan Jones, Leon Bevan and James Hicks.
Gowertonyear 7: 5
 Olchfa year 7: 17.

Yr 7 beaten but good performance gives hope for the future.

The battle for the year 7 cup was keenly contested with Olchfa eventually triumphing to lift the trophy.
Gowerton arrived in confident mood after their impressive semi-final defeat of Bryntawe, but they knew they faced a tough task having been well beaten by Olchfa before Christmas.
Centre Jack Cosker who ‘tackled strongly and ran elusively’.
It was Olchfa who started quickly and they scored straight from the kick off when centre Harry Jones powered over.
Cameron Clayfield had an ‘eye for the gap’-but, carry that ball in two hands Cameron.
Olchfa with the benefit of the breeze at their backs were on the front foot for much of the rest of the half, but Gowerton’s defence refused to buckle with centre Jack Cosker, scrum half Iwan Jones, lock Garin Thomas, flanker Leon Bevan and No.8 Lewis Pennington all tackling strongly and Olchfa were unable to add to their solitary score before the break.
With the advantage of the breeze in the second half, Gowerton were first to press and with fly half Cameron Clayfield having an ‘eye for the gap’ and centre Cosker running elusively they were confident that they could turn the game around.
A turnover by wing Jacob Williams freed lock Garin Thomas who fed fly half Cameron Clayfield but Olchfa’s scramble defence managed to get back and he was halted just short of the line.
On 33 minutes, Olchfa doubled their lead when wing Chris Norman broke clear and kicked ahead, possession was reclaimed and centre Sam Wells powered over for a try. Five minutes later they guaranteed they would lift the trophy when fly half Jack Cheney sliced through for a try he converted himself.
It was Gowerton who had the final word when centre James Northey scored the best try of the game as he went on a run from half way that saw him beat a number of defenders before scoring a try that went unconverted.
At the final whistle it was Olchfa who deservedly lifted the Penhale cup, but Gowerton’s competitive performance deserved much credit and gave a hope of better in the future.

Comments are closed.

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb